Monday 17 March 2014

N. 49: O. R. Di Iorio

G. it. Ent., 9 (49): 263-291
May 2001

Systematics and biology of the species of
the genus Ischionodonta Chevrolat, 1859
(Coleoptera: Cerambycidae: Cerambycinae: Rhopalophorini)
from Argentina

by

OSVALDO R. DI IORIO

Abstract - Two species of the genus Ischionodonta are recognized for Argentina: Ischionodonta platensis (Chevrolat, 1859), with two varieties, the nominotypical one and I. platensis var. semirubra (Burmeister, 1865), new status, new synonymy, and intermediate forms; Ischionodonta iridipennis (Chevrolat, 1859), with four varieties, I. iridipennis var. iridipennis, I. i. var. riberensis, new, I. i. var. violaceipennis, new, and I. i. var rufomarginata (Fisher, 1937), new status, new synonymy, and intermediate forms. It is observed that the antennae of the female of Ischionodonta iridipennis (Chevrolat, 1859) were primitively 12-segmented (antennomeres XI and XII are fused). Larval tunnels and pupal chambers of I. platensis var. semirubra and I. iridipennis var. riberensis are described and illustrated. Emergence periods and peaks of emergence per host plant and locality, and frequencies of phenotypes are given. Geographic distributions of species, varieties and intermediate forms are figured. Flowers visited by adults are also recorded. A key to Argentine and some Brazilian species is provided.